Why is there no study on water needed for build out...
Aug 01, 2018 | 910 views | 0 0 comments | 40 40 recommendations | email to a friend | print

I have been involved in water studies for almost 15 years and Grand County, Moab City and GWSSA have never published how much water is necessary for build out of our area under our current zoning code.

There is no doubt in my mind that we do not have sufficient water for build out, a university and hundreds of new hotel rooms. The USGS study says we have approximately 6,000 acre-feet of water. A house in Grand County uses approximately one-half an acre-foot of water per year and assuming three people per house we have enough water for 12,000 more homes or 36,000 people. Hotel rooms significantly reduce the number of people that will live in the area. No matter how you play with the numbers the results should still be the same. We will not have sufficient water.

So why do we have no published studies?

GWSSA is the agency that controls the supply of water in Grand County. GWSSA’s board has two or more developers. The nightmare of most developers is to have a moratorium on building due to no water. If there is no study of the water supply, there is no problem with the water supply.

Grand County has almost no control of the water supply in the county. As long as GWSSA writes a letter saying water is in the pipes for a development, Grand County will not do a study that would contradict the letter from GWSSA. The county does not want to place a moratorium on development and be crucified by developers.

Moab City owns all or most of the available water and they feel they have enough water for build out. They do not need a moratorium and do not want the problems caused by restricting development. Your conservation of water in Moab City is a waste of effort. The result is another hotel room and a loss of any surplus water that can be used in a drought.

Having no study will surely result in our low-cost water from the Glen Canyon aquifer being depleted for large-scale developments. Future developments will have to pay a much higher price for alternative sources of water.

My suggestion is that every land owner in the county applies to the state for 6.5 acre-feet of water for irrigation. This water right may be exchanged for culinary water when you develop your property. As long as the current political entities in Grand County show little incentive to protect local landowners, you should protect yourself from future high cost water.

–Bill Love


Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.