We couldn’t reach him or coax him down. I decided to call the dispatcher for advice. She didn’t have a number for a chimney sweep but she called the duty officer to ask him. He recommended the Moab Fire Department, so the dispatcher had them call me. Long story short, before long we had two city officers, two firemen, and the animal control officer in our basement trying to help.
No one could reach the kitten and he continued to be scared, but he was in no danger. Everyone agreed that the best course was to leave him alone, lure him with food, and wait. He jumped out of the chimney the next morning in perfect health.
The officers were helpful, concerned and very professional. We are lucky to have such dedicated people serving our community. Thanks to all of you.