Climber injured at Castleton Tower
by Lisa J. Church
staff writer
Nov 01, 2012 | 6932 views | 0 0 comments | 18 18 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A helicopter pilot and Grand County search and rescue workers survey the area and make plans to transport medical personnel to an injured rock climber on Castleton Tower on Oct. 27.                                                                                   Photo by Nadi Ardalan
A helicopter pilot and Grand County search and rescue workers survey the area and make plans to transport medical personnel to an injured rock climber on Castleton Tower on Oct. 27. Photo by Nadi Ardalan

A Connecticut man suffered serious facial and head injuries during a fall while rock climbing at Castleton Tower on Saturday, Oct. 27. The accident occurred at about 3 p.m. at the popular rock climbing spot approximately 20 miles northeast of Moab near the town of Castle Valley.

Peter Duker, 21, of Darien, Conn., fell approximately 20 feet, landing and striking his head on a small rock ledge while climbing the Kor-Ingalls route on the tower, officials with the Grand County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release. The fall left Duker unconscious on the ledge about 150 feet above ground level, near the middle of the 350-foot rock formation.

“[Ducker] was leading the second pitch of a four pitch climb. He landed on a small ledge with his head taking most of the force. He was wearing a helmet,” the sheriff’s department news release stated.

Bego Gerhart, Grand County Search and Rescue vice-commander, said Duker was fortunate that several rock climbers who were climbing at Castleton Rock that afternoon quickly came to his aid. Those climbers had varying levels of wilderness medical and search and rescue training, Gerhart said.

Two people rappelled down to the ledge where Duker lay unconscious, and two climbed up from below to offer assistance, Gerhart said. They were able to secure Ducker and provide some aid, he said.

“It was a very difficult rescue [for Grand County Search and Rescue] and it’s a very lucky thing that so many people on the rock had so many skills...,” Gerhard said. “Most of the people that got to him in about a half-hour had many skills. We were lucky to have those civilian climbers because they solved all the problems they could before we got there.”

Grand County Search and Rescue workers responded to the scene and paged helicopters from the Utah Department of Public Safety and St. Mary’s Hospital Careflight.

Some rescue workers were flown by helicopter to the spot where Ducker had fallen while others climbed up from the base of Castelton Tower, Gerhart said. Twelve climbers and six technical rescue personnel from search and rescue worked to reach Ducker and lower him to the ground. Rescuers then had to carry Ducker around to the north side of the tower and lower down another short cliff. He was then transported by helicopter to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. The entire rescue effort lasted almost seven hours and was completed at approximately 10 p.m., sheriff’s department officials said.

The helicopters played a significant role in the rescue, Gerhart said.

“St. Mary’s helicopter flew in and did a lot of ferrying of people and equipment,” Gerhart said. “The [Department of Public Safety] helicopter got everyone and everything back down. And a lot of this was at night using night vision goggles.’

The helicopters were landing on a narrow strip of rock that was no wider than the crafts’ skids, Gerhart said. Fortunately, the weather was calm.

“It takes a no-wind situation to land on a ridge. And we had no wind,” he said.

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.