sports
Lady Devils take fourth at state golf tourney
The Grand County High School girls golf team took fourth place overall out of 15 teams at the state tournament held at the Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Midway, Utah on Thursday, May 19. The Lady D...
May 26, 2016 | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend
full story
Backus to compete for title of Utah High School Rodeo Queen
Kortney Backus, 17, daughter of Brian and Kelsie Backus of Moab, will compete for the title of Utah High School Rodeo Queen on May 30 and 31 in Heber City, Utah at the Wasatch County Events Center....
May 26, 2016 | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend
full story
Thunderbirds named region champs
The Grand County Middle School girls Thunderbird soccer team clinched the 2016 Central Utah region title on Saturday, April 30, defeating Emery County Middle School by the score of 2-0 during the c...
May 12, 2016 | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend
full story
New ‘kid-friendly’ public rock climbing park opens
Dozens of people showed up at Lions Park on Friday, May 13 to celebrate the grand opening of the Moab Boulder Park. Adults and children alike took the opportunity to enjoy popsicles and juice and t...
May 19, 2016 | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend
full story
  • Devils place third at state 2A baseball tourney
    by Jeff Richards
    The Times-Independent
    05.19.16 - 11:39 am
  • Baseball team goes 1-1 in first two playoff games
    by Jeff Richards
    The Times-Independent
    05.12.16 - 09:57 am
  • GCHS track teams compete at BYU Invitational
    by Jeff Richards
    The Times-Independent
    05.12.16 - 09:55 am
  • Soccer team’s playoff hopes fade with pair of close losses
    by Jeff Richards
    The Times-Independent
    04.28.16 - 09:50 am

  • <b><i>Rock crawling...<br></i></b>
Max Lesoine ascends a boulder at the recently opened Moab Boulder Park, located within Lions Park at the corner of U.S. 191 and state Route 128. Now open for use, representatives say the boulder park provides a “safe, free, and bike-accessible opportunity” for the Moab community to practice rock climbing. Moab resident Christina Sloan spearheaded the effort to raise funds to create the boulder park. Approximately 80 percent of the more than $300,000 raised for the project came from contributions by local businesses and individuals. The Grand County Recreation Special Service District and the Governor’s Office for Outdoor Recreation contributed the remaining 20 percent of the funding. The community is invited to attend a grand opening ceremony and ribbon cutting on Friday, May 13 at 2 p.m. Photo by Molly Marcello
    Rock crawling...
    Max Lesoine ascends a boulder at the recently opened Moab Boulder Park, located within Lions Park at the corner of U.S. 191 and state Route 128. Now open for use, representatives say the boulder park provides a “safe, free, and bike-accessible opportunity” for the Moab community to practice rock climbing. Moab resident Christina Sloan spearheaded the effort to raise funds to create the boulder park. Approximately 80 percent of the more than $300,000 raised for the project came from contributions by local businesses and individuals. The Grand County Recreation Special Service District and the Governor’s Office for Outdoor Recreation contributed the remaining 20 percent of the funding. The community is invited to attend a grand opening ceremony and ribbon cutting on Friday, May 13 at 2 p.m. Photo by Molly Marcello
    slideshow

    national news

    BMW PGA ChampionshipBy Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - The bulldozers will arrive at Wentworth next month as organizers begin their bid to restore the BMW PGA Championship venue to its former glory, European Tour supremo Keith Pelley said on Sunday. The iconic layout on the outskirts of London was originally designed by Harry Colt in 1926 but has undergone a complete facelift from four-times major champion Ernie Els in the last decade. The changes have not met with unanimous approval and top players such as Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson, Ian Poulter and Padraig Harrington chose to give the tour's flagship event a miss this year for a variety of reasons.


    2016-05-29 07:05:02 -0600
    In front of a gym's empty bleachers, a group of veiled women in wheelchairs exchange passes, practicing to form a female Paralympic basketball team in the Gaza Strip. Wessal Abu Alyan, a 40-year-old mother of four, said playing helped her "feel free and strong". As the women practiced, they were given advice and encouragement from Jess Markt, an American who began playing wheelchair basketball after a spinal cord injury when he was 19.
    2016-05-29 07:01:35 -0600
    By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 29 (Reuters) - The bulldozers will arrive at Wentworth next month as organisers begin their bid to restore the BMW PGA Championship venue to its former glory, European Tour supremo Keith Pelley said on Sunday. The iconic layout on the outskirts of London was originally designed by Harry Colt in 1926 but has undergone a complete facelift from four-times major champion Ernie Els in the last decade. The changes have not met with unanimous approval and top players such as Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson, Ian Poulter and Padraig Harrington chose to give the tour's flagship event a miss this year for a variety of reasons.
    2016-05-29 06:47:34 -0600